Tuesday, August 02, 2005

S.E.Asia Travel log 6

Hello again. We are now officially in Malaysia. It is a normal country compared to Thailand. We went out for dinner and then out on the town last night and not a single girl in the bars accosted us our wanted us to play any board games with them. I don't know if maybe Chad is becoming more unattractive in his old age, or maybe those girls in Thailand have an ulterior motive. We are in a little town called Georgetown, on the Western coast of Malaysia. It is on an Island, Panang. This area used to be an English settlement, hence the very English name. We are going to stay here for a few days and then head over to the more mountainous region. Finally a place where I can feel at home. I have never been much of beach lover. SO, I am officially hanging up my speedo for awhile and putting on my hiking boots. Not that I can't wear hiking boots with my speedos. Speedos are not just for the beach anymore, I feel that they can pretty much fit comfortably into any social situation.
We have decided to be more fiscally responsible the last few days and forgo the flights into new areas, and instead go to our backpacker roots and use the ground transportation. We took a "mini-bus" (which is in actuality more of a mini-van) for about 5 hours towards the Malaysian border, then hopped a train for roughly 5 hours into Malaysia. I am glad to be able to report that we did not die in a fiery car crash while in the mini-bus. It was touch and go for awhile and I was not sure if that statement was going to be made. Our driver was obviously not paid by the hour since he was determined to make the trip in record time. And since no in S.E. Asia drives well, I think long distance travel via the highway is an extreme sport in this region.
Well, I am going to have to go now. We are going to explore the city and see what trouble we can dig up.
Happy to be alive
Michael

No comments: